Skip to content

New details emerge in Florida pickleball brawl that resulted in multiple arrests

Alex Lantz
Director of Content

Last Edited

Feb 16 2026

Category

News

New details have emerged in last week's Florida pickleball brawl that resulted in a couple being arrested and charged with battery.

Law enforcement officials were called to Spruce Creek Country Club in Port Orange north of Orlando on Feb. 8 on a report of a fight on a pickleball court involving up to 20 people, according to the Volusia Sheriff’s Office.

Anthony Sapienza, 63, and his wife, Julianne Sapienza, 51, were arrested after several people sustained injuries, including a 70-year-old man, the affidavit said.

Victims and witnesses told officials the pickleball match got "heated" after Anthony Sapienza accused his opponent of stepping in the kitchen on a volley.

The teams exchanged insults before Anthony Sapienza punched one of the victims and hit him in the face with a pickleball paddle, according to the affidavit.

"It’s bleeding and swollen," a player said in a 911 call. "He’s got blood all over his face ... It’s really ridiculous. I’ve never seen anything like this."

Listen to the 911 call during Florida pickleball brawl

When a third player -- the 70-year-old -- attempted to break up the fight, he said Anthony Sapienza punched him. While he was on the ground, Julianne Sapienza continued to attack him, according to the affidavit.

One of the victims was taken to a local hospital with a laceration above his eye that could result in "permanent scarring."

The couple left the pickleball courts and were later arrested at their home and booked into a local jail, the affidavit said.

In charging documents, Assistant State Attorney Danielle Fields said that Anthony Sapienza used a pickleball paddle as a "deadly weapon" to intentionally cause "great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement" to the victim.

The couple has pleaded not guilty and their attorney has not commented on the case publicly. A hearing in the case is scheduled for March 3.

Anthony and Julianne Sapienza were not members of the country club and they have been permanently banned from both the gated community and the club, according to reports.

Join Pickleball’s Greatest Community

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter to be the most well-informed pickleball fan on the court, featuring news, giveaways, and much more!

Pickleball’s Leading Voice

The Kitchen was created to provide a place where pickleball players and enthusiasts could congregate. What started out as
a passion project has turned into the largest and most passionate group of pickleballers in the world. 
The Kitchen Newsletter Arrow Right Icon